Lyrics to the traditional Irish Christmas Carol Wexford Carol.
History and facts about Wexford Carol.
- Wexford Carol is a traditional Irish Christmas Carol.
- Irish title: Carúl Loch Garman.
- Originating from County Wexford (a county in Ireland).
- The lyrics is about the birth of Jesus Christ.
- The carol is also known by the first line of the song: “Good people all, this Christmas time”.
- William Grattan Flood (1859-1928) transcribed the song from a local singer and published the lyrics in the Oxford Book of Carols.
- Wexford Carol has been performed and recorded by choirs all over the world.
- Julie Andrews recorded the song in 1966 and Yo Yo Ma and Alison Krauss did the same in 2008.
Lyrics to Wexford Carol.
English lyrics to Wexford Carol.
Good people all, this Christmas time,
Consider well and bear in mind
What our good God for us has done
In sending his beloved son
With Mary holy we should pray,
To God with love this Christmas Day
In Bethlehem upon that morn,
There was a blessed Messiah born.
The night before that happy tide,
The noble Virgin and her guide
Were long time seeking up and down
To find a lodging in the town.
But mark how all things came to pass
From every door repelled, alas,
As was foretold, their refuge all
Was but a humble ox’s stall.
Near Bethlehem did shepherds keep
Their flocks of lambs and feeding sheep
To whom God’s angels did appear
Which put the shepherds in great fear
Prepare and go, the angels said
To Bethlehem, be not afraid
For there you’ll find, this happy morn
A princely babe, sweet Jesus, born.
With thankful heart and joyful mind
The shepherds went the babe to find
And as God’s angel had foretold
They did our Saviour Christ behold
Within a manger he was laid
And by his side the virgin maid
Attending on the Lord of Life
Who came on earth to end all strife.
There were three wise men from afar
Directed by a glorious star
And on they wandered night and day
Until they came where Jesus lay
And when they came unto that place
Where our beloved Messiah lay
They humbly cast them at his feet
With gifts of gold and incense sweet.
Irish lyrics to Wexford Carol (Carúl Loch Garman).
Ó, tagaig’ uile is adhraigí
An leanbh cneasta sa chró ‘na luí
Is cuimhnígí ar ghrá an Rí
A thug dár saoradh anocht an Naí.
’S a Mhuire Mháthair i bParrthas Dé,
Ar chlann bhocht Éabha guigh ‘nois go caomh,
Is doras an chró ná dún go deo
Go n-adhram’ feasta Mac Mhuire Ógh.
I mBeithil thoir i lár na hoích’
Ba chlos an deascéala d’aoirí,
Go follas don saol ón spéir go binn
Bhí aingle ‘canadh ó rinn go rinn.
“Gluaisig’ go beo,” dúirt Aingeal Dé,
“Go Beithil sall is gheobhaidh sibh É
‘Na luí go séimh i mainséar féir,
Siúd É an Meisias a ghráigh an saol.”